Recycling & Waste Reduction
Tenon is continually looking for innovative ways to recycle and minimise waste.
In recent years, through a programme of identifying and reusing recyclable waste, we have reduced the amount sent to landfill by over 90%. This has been primarily achieved by recycling clean wood waste and steel strap. We're also focussing on recycling empty bottles, spray cans and cardboard packaging.
In another waste reduction drive, we find creative alternative uses for our 'arising' products and manufacturing residues. Some examples include:
- Lower grade lumber is used by the packaging industry for pallets and crates.
- 'Wood slithers' are used by lattice manufacturers, and to make kindling.
- Sawdust and shavings are collected and sold to MDF and particle board manufacturers.
- Bark byproduct is collected to be used in gardening applications.
- Mixed wood residue product created from cleaning the sawmill is sold as hog fuel.